top of page

MEETING MINUTES

July 21, 2022

1. Mission/Vision Statement - Review & Edit?


2. Sponsorship Update


3. Grant Update - Jessica Hawkes

  • First application due July 31


4. New Board Members?

  • Do we need a lender?

  • Insurance agent?


5. 2023 Class Changes


6. Budgeting, Equity, and Credit Class


7. In-Person/Hybrid/Zoom Discussion


8. New Google Sponsorship Form

  • Goal: Get 1 sponsorship.


9. Other Business

June 16, 2022

1. Sponsorship Update

  • Update from Sponsorship Committee

  • Jenny's schpeel


2. CCCLT Partnership


3. Dickinson!


4. Fundraising Event Update


5. New Loan Info Book

  • Comments, questions, concerns?

  • Who else can we add?


6. Timeline of Goals

  • See handout

  • Comments, questions, concerns, additions, thoughts?


7. Ideas on How to Improve Class

  • Survey results review

  • Presenter ideas


8. Credit, Budgeting, Equity Class

  • Name ideas?

  • Agenda (see handout)

  • Presenter ideas

  • Brainstorming


9. What other resources can we provide?


10. Board Update

January 13, 2022

5:40: Possible employees. Administrative assistant, Stacy Savajo. Works at VA, maybe become an hourly employee? ($20/hr)

Development director, Whitney Oxendahl. Perhaps independent contractor/get grants, etc. May pro bono until then. Works per project but will get us a quote thin month.


6:05: Charity of the month for FMAAR at in person meeting? Presenter of the month-Morgan? Jenny will talk to Marty about it.


6:10: Discussion of board members voluntarily giving $50/mnth.


6:15: Look into accounting software, (Quickbooks). Jenny registered Doorsteps for TechSoup. (Discounts on software, etc)


6:21: In person or Zoom? Maybe every other month?


6:33: 6 month survey. "Did you buy a property and were there things you learned from the class that helped?"


6:40: Delay the fundraiser until July. Outdoor at Brewhalla or somewhere similar?


6:45: First additional class home maintenance.


6:50: Go back on the radio/Jay Thomas show? Reach out to more media? We may be able to get free airtime now that we're a non-profit. Reach out to who you know.

November 17, 2021

5:30: Welcome Kipp, new board member


5:40: Review student feedback reports for Oct/Nov 2021


5:45: Review of entire 2021 attendance stats


5:53: Location discussion. Continue in person with Zoom option?


6:10: Accounting software needed. *Tech Solutions may have a free version for non-profits? LeighAnn will look into it.


6:13: Raising funds. Giving Hearts Day-too late for 2022, work for 2023 instead. Become a member of Power of 100? FM Area Foundation, Lakes & Prairie. What about offering yearly/monthly/or student/class based sponsorships. Will discuss more at next meeting.


6:20: Contract for deeds option for students?


6:31: Promotion ideas. Valley News Live, Lars’ radio show, socials, work with other non-profits?


6:35: First Door


6:40: Do an informational event at Drekker in Feb?


6:43: Get website updated


6:50: Use funds to buy more notebooks, pens, mugs?

September 23, 2021

1. Class Numbers and Review

  • Survey results

  • Presenters

  • Leads


2. Class Format

  • Continue with hybrid?


3. 501(c)3

  • Grants, funding, etc.

  • Bigger role for Treasurer

  • Importance of minutes


4. Goals

  • Fundraising goals

  • Employee goals

  • Connection goals

  • Outreach/advertising goals


5. 2022 Class Dates

  • Pick dates

  • Locations

  • Presenters - Lindsey Svir


6. Future Meetings

  • Frequency, location, etc.


7. Other

June 16, 2021

1. Upcoming Classes

  • Home Equity/Budgeting

  • Home Maintenance

  • Sellers Class

  • Other Ideas

Josh and Jenny will set up a time to get together for starting the Sellers class. Morgan will help work on the Home Equity and Budgeting class in the fall. Lars will send over some information for the Home Maintenance class.


2. Status on 501c3

Jenny turned in the application for a 501(c)3 four to six weeks ago. We should hear back in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed!


3. FM Homebuyer Workbook

Morgan is going to look for the old Village Workbook that we can base a homebuyer book off of. If he can't find it, Jenny or Morgan will reach out to Josh Huffman.


4. Going In-Person

  • Tentative Date? July or August 2021

  • Tentative Locations? HBA - Beth will reach out to see if July or August is available.

  • Zoom/In Person Combo - HBA has zoom/in person technology!

  • HBA Membership - Would cost $645/year. We could use the facilities for free. It was decided that we would try and use Beth or Lar's current membership to use the facility and hold off on becoming members.


5. Certificates/Class Materials

  • Certificates never expire!

  • Ideas on updating class material or adding to it

Reminder that the certificates never expire. We decided to continue to encourage presenters to include their own materials and attempt to finish the F-M Homebuyer Handbook by 2022.

We also discussed following up the class and creating a handout of the steps of homeownership. We could review who presented and keep the presenters fresh in the mind with a final summary.


6. Beating Another Dead Horse... Lender Cards

Jenny will create Lender Cards and send out to the board for edit/review.


7. 2022 Class Dates

It was decided to stick to the two-day classes of Monday/Tuesday and switch to Tuesday/Wednesday June, July, and August 2022


8. Presenters

  • Cards to all presenters

  • Replacing Greg Olson

Josh or Jenny will reach out to Greg to see if we can record and use his current presentation before he retires in September. Next meeting, Jenny will bring cards for the presenters for everyone to sign. We will also decide on a gift for Greg for his retirement.


9. Other

  • Josh will send Jenny the files he has of presenters to use in presenters' absences.

  • We discussed and tabled until next meeting requiring a fee for any leads generated from the class to go back to Doorsteps Midwest. We discussed a percentage (like 10%) or a flat fee ($200-300). This would help cover the cost of materials.

  • We talked about various advertising. Josh suggested making a Facebook advertisement a week or so after a class and three weeks or so prior to the next month. Josh suggested contacting Valley News Live again to see if they would do an interview and chat about how buyers can get a "leg up" on the competition with homebuyer education. Lars suggested KVLY, WDAY, and the Forum. Lars talked about his weekly radio show and having people come in and discuss the homebuyer class on his next show. Lars will reach out to his contacts at KVLY, WDAY, and the Forum.

  • We also discussed various ways to use and implement our mission statement: "To educate and empower future homeowners." Josh suggested adding this to all course materials.

December 17, 2020

1. 2020 Statistics

  • Thoughts


2. 2021 Classes

  • Picking Teaching Dates

  • Zoom platform?

  • Suggestions for improvement?

  • Update on Energy Efficiency


3. Lender Letters

  • Templates


4. Non Profit Status

  • No 501c3 yet

  • ND Non Profit, still


5. Folders, forms, notebooks?


6. Advertising?


7. New pictures/bios

March 26, 2020

1. Last Class Review and Revisions

  • Karen Skjold


2. Class Cancellations

  • Should we cancel April or make it virtual?

  • May?


3. Bank Account

  • Beth - resend materials please

  • Within the next couple weeks?


4. Class Outlines, Class Ideas

  • Not to beat a dead horse but...


5. New Board Member Options

  • Subcommittees


6. Fundraising Materials and Promotional Ideas

  • Lender Luncheon

  • Brainstorm summer events and tentative dates


7. Pictures and Bios Please


8. Final Thoughts and Notes?

bottom of page